Boost Your Winter Immune System Naturally
Winter is almost here, and with the change in weather comes sneezes, coughs, and colds. Wellness can be especially difficult to remember during the busy holiday season. That’s why we’ve put together some easy ways for you to support your immune system and stay healthy this season.
Boost your immune system naturally with your diet.
It’s true what they say – you are what you eat. Antioxidants, probiotics, and hydration can help support your immunity against disease, and natural vitamins and supplements can help fill any missing gaps from your diet.
Antioxidants are substances that help protect your cells against free radicals. Free radicals are molecules produced when your body processes foods, or when you are exposed to toxins such as tobacco smoke or radiation.
- Seasonal foods that are high in antioxidants include pumpkins, broccoli, beets, sweet potatoes, and squash.
Probiotics are made of good live bacterial and/or yeast that lives naturally in your body. Your body naturally has a balance of good and bad bacteria.
Your body’s natural balance of good and bad bacteria goes out of balance when you get an infection.
- Support your good bacteria with foods such as yogurt, kombucha, and pickles that are high in probiotics.
We all know that it is crucial to stay hydrated when it’s hot out, but it’s also important during cold and dry winter months. Your body still loses moisture during the winter, you just might not notice it as much!
- Drinking plenty of water will not only support your immune system but can also support your body’s biggest organ – your skin! Although every person is different, it is generally recommended that adults drink at least 5 glasses of water per day.
- If you have trouble remembering to drink water, try infusing water with your favorite fruits, have a bottle of water near you while you work, or substitute water for tea.
- Say no to alcohol. The holidays can be a difficult time to avoid alcohol, but although it is a liquid, alcohol, and especially hard liquor, can dehydrate you and therefore weaken your immune system.
Natural Vitamins and Supplements
Natural Vitamins and supplements help your body help itself when it comes to your immune system. Along with a multivitamin, taking these additional supplements in the winter will give your body a defensive boost.
- Vitamin C. Vitamin C is a micro-nutrient and a form of antioxidant. Vitamin C supports the multiple cellular functions of your body’s adaptive immune system and fights free radicals.
- Vitamin B6. Vitamin B6 helps to maintain a normal amount of amino acids in your blood while aiding a stronger immune system. Vitamin B6 can also support serotonin levels in your brain, which can help you fend off Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD).
- Vitamin E. Vitamin E has antioxidant properties that help your body fight infection and disease. Vitamin E is also important to boost your blood health.
If you’re not sure what the best blend of vitamins and supplements is for your body’s needs, please contact us to schedule an appointment.
– The ProNatural Wellness Team